In the third episode of the New Human Movement series, Gary and I spoke to Paul Polman, the former CEO of Unilever (one the one of the world‘s biggest food and personal care companies). During his ten-year stint Unilever, Polman prioritized long-term value creation and made sustainability the centerpiece of the company‘s strategy.
Here are some of the topics we covered:
- Turning Unilever around - while avoiding the easy, short-term tricks to boost performance
- Baking purpose into the business model
- Dismantling bureaucracy – and avoiding "reorgs"
- Why CEOs should stop blaming investors and act more courageously
- Brining about system-level change
For our reflections on this conversation, check out the companion article published by Fast Company:
Hope you enjoy it... and if you do, please give it a "thumbs up" on Youtube, and subscribe to the channel (you'll be notified of new episodes).